Uploading files to the Notebook
You can upload data files to your Notebook to enable others to view or download them. If the data files are in .png or .jpg format, the image can be displayed on the Entry and can be commented on separately. You can add links to your data files to the Entry with which the files are associated. This is helpful for enabling others to see that there is data associated with the Entry because with no links in the Entry you can only see the data files when the specific Entry is selected.
You cannot upload data to a new Entry. You must first create a new Entry, and then edit the Entry to add your file. Icons and links for the uploaded files are displayed in the Attached Files box beneath the Entry with which they have been associated.
- NOTE: You can not delete a file once it has been uploaded to a Entry. Ensure you select the correct file before you upload it.
If you want to upload multiple files in one go, you can create a zip containing the files. If you change the Upload Type to Zip File when you upload the file, LabTrove will decompress the files and add each file individually to the Entry. If you set the Upload Type to Single Item, the zip file is not decompressed, and zip file itself is added to the Entry.
To add a data file to your Entry:
- Create and submit a new Entry or select an existing Entry.
- Click the Edit Post link beneath the Entry.
- In the Attached Files section, click Upload data.
- (Optional) Enter a title for your data file. This is useful for others who might want to download your file.
- Click Choose File to browse your file system for the data file.
- Select the file that you want to upload and click Choose.
- (Optional) Select the file type from the Type drop-down list. Leave the Type selected as Auto Detect to let LabTrove determine the file type.
- (Optional) If you are uploading a zip file and you want the files in the zip file to be added individually, change the Upload Type' to Zip File.
- (Optional) If you want to provide a link to the data file in the text of the Entry (NOTE: If you make changes in the Entry you will lose them if you add data file unless you Submit your changes first):
- Ensure your cursor is in the position within your Entry where you want to add the link to data file.
- Click the Add to text button next to the data file that you want to include in your Entry text.
- When you are ready to save your changes to the post, enter a reason for your changes in the Reason For Edit field.
- Click Submit to save the changes.
Linking to an existing data file from your post
Once you have uploaded a file on to the Trove, anyone using the same Trove can link to it. Each uploaded file is assigned a unique numeric code, for example, 688. You can type the unique code in data markup to create a link to that data file within your Entry. For example, to create a link to a file with the unique code 688, you would type the following into your Entry at the appropriate location:
When you submit your changes, the Entry will contain a link to that file.
To find the unique code for a data file:
- Click on the data file to open the file in the browser.
- Record the value shown in the title bar for the new window.
- The unique code for the data file is the number part of the name of the html file. For example, if the title of the window is displayed as
http://blogs.chem.soton.ac.uk/data/files/27654.html</data>, the unique code for the data file is 27654. You would therefore enter the following text in your Entry to create a link to that data file:
- <code lang="text"> [data]27654[/data]
Changing the format of the data displayed in your Entry
Formating Data Items Resize data items, to resize them you can use the following syntax. [data=size:99x212]6[/data] also if you only what a text link to the data in a post then you can use [data=text]6[/data]
Adding an image from a website
You can add an image from a website to your Entry. Text does not wrap around an image, so position the image on a new line in your Entry. You can also upload your own picture to your Notebook, see Uploading data. To add an image from a website in your Entry:
- Ensure your cursor is in the position within your Entry where you want to add the image and click the Picture button.
- Enter the full URL address for the image. For example, for Google's Milankovich Logo you would enter the following URL in the URL field:
- Click OK to add the link to the image into the Entry. The format of the added link will look similar to the following markup:
- Click Submit to save your Entry. If you are editing a Entry you must enter a Reason for Edit before you can submit the Entry. If the URL you entered is correct, the image is shown in your saved Entry.
What to do next
- Editing an eNotebook entry and viewing revisions
- Linking to other eNotebook entries
- Linking to external resources
- Creating a sketch
- To find out how to use metadata effectively in your Notebook, see Classifying the content of an eNotebook entry using metadata
- You can create template Entries to help you record consistent information for different experiments. For more information, see Recording repeated processes.